Georgian Bay’s premier literary event of the year returns on Saturday, October 21 to the Collingwood Leisure Time Club at 7:00 p.m. The 9th annual Georgian Bay Reads event pits book defenders from each participating library against each other to determine the best Canadian title. It’s an evening full of laughs as each defender argues why their book is deserves to be the champion!
The defenders for each library are:
- Clearview: Julie Pollock, book is The Lost Diaries of Susanna Moodie by Cecily Ross
- Collingwood: Mariane McLeod, book is Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery
- Meaford: Leslie Ransom, book is Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese
- Springwater: Anne Arksey, book is Man in the Shadows by Gordon Henderson
- Wasaga Beach: Cathy Turrie, book is We’re All in This Together by Amy Jones
- Moderator: Julie LeBlanc of Collingwood, 2016 winner for The Manticore by Robertson Davies
Each defender will explain why their choice is the best, as the moderator gives them questions to be answered within a set time limit. Go overtime, and the bell will sound! Meanwhile, the other contenders will be arguing and presenting passionate critiques of all books but their own. As each round ends, a defender and book are voted down, until only the Georgian Bay Reads champion is left. The audience can participate in the fun as well by voting for the People’s Choice Award.
“It’s going to be an incredible event this year,” says Dorothy Gebert, Public Relations Coordinator at the Collingwood Public Library. “We’ve got five fabulous books with five enthusiastic defenders, so I can guarantee that intellectual repartee and tension-filled moments will be part of the show. It is going to be an exciting event to be at!”
Admission is free, but tickets are limited. Contact a participating library to reserve yours.
Who will be the champion this year?
WHERE and WHEN:
Georgian Bay Reads
Saturday, October 21, 2017
7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Collingwood Leisure Time Club
100 Minnesota Street, Collingwood, ON
NOTE: At this time, all participating libraries are sold out of tickets. We hope to see you next year!